Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Neuroleadership Checklist

Do you think of yourself as a neuroleader? Perhaps you are one and don't know it. If you acknowledge, respect and leverage people's uniqueness, and believe "changing your thinking changes your world," you are already using high road practices, which are soundly based in neuroscience.
Neuroleadership yields better and more sustainable results than traditional leadership models, which are often characterized by such destructive behaviors as creating stress-filled workplaces, demanding that people work harder and faster, treating people like they are stupid and lazy, gaining objectives at the expense of others, and believing competition is essential for survival. This faulty and defective thinking eventually deteriorates any organization, causing it to implode.
How to Use the Checklist
  • Benchmark your level of positive "high road behaviors"
  • Measure improvement toward being a Master Level Neuroleader
  • On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest level, rate your thinking and behaviors
  • Receive feedback from peers and direct reports as a "reality check"
Checklist for Neuroleadership
  1. I consciously try to be the best I can be without causing harm to others.
  2. I consciously help others to be the best they can be.
  3. I respect people's differences, gifts and interests.
  4. I know my people's sensory and cognitive strengths.
  5. I align work activities with the strengths and interests of my people.
  6. I make big decisions using diverse points of view.
  7. I use positive and affirming language that elevates people's mood state.
  8. I show empathy for people's problems; they know I care.
  9. I seek to understand before being understood.
  10. I suspend judgment until I understand differing points of view.
  11. I don't always have to be "right."
  12. I practice "high road" behaviors that bring out the best in others.
  13. I feel inspired about my personal and/or organization's vision, goals and values.
  14. I create safe and stimulating work environments.
  15. I support cooperation and collaboration instead of competition.
  16. I treat everyone consistently; people know what to expect from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment